01 Jul Message from the 2020-2021 JLB President
Welcome to the 2020 – 2021 Junior League of Birmingham, MI, Inc. (JLB) League year! My name is Alyce Tassoni, and I am honored to be serving as this year’s President. A few introductory facts:
- My first name is mispronounced daily, but I always chalk it up to being a great icebreaker when first meeting someone! It is pronounced like Elise (Ah-lease) – not Alice.
- My husband, Mike, and I were married last August, and we are approaching our one-year anniversary! We reside in Birmingham, and have felt fortunate to have spent the quarantine months in such a beautiful community with an abundance of parks and walking routes.
- I first learned about the Junior League when I was living and working in New York City from a colleague. When I moved back to my home state of Michigan in 2014, I joined the JLB, and it has been one of the most rewarding experiences to volunteer alongside and learn from so many exceptional female leaders.
While the first six months of 2020 have been tumultuous with the COVID-19 global health pandemic and senseless acts of racial injustices, I hope you will join me in believing that 2020 can be the year that we create real societal change.
Here at the JLB, we are committed to helping to be part of that change and are prioritizing the importance of keeping diversity, equity, and inclusion at the forefront of all programming. The new leadership team has already been hard at work since the spring, planning membership training, community projects, and fundraising initiatives for the 2020 – 2021 year, making sure there are plans for in-person and virtual opportunities to allow members to stay involved.
A preview of some of the exciting work already underway:
- Building up our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Task Force, which will host regular training and education sessions for members.
- Forging a new community partnership with Hope Against Trafficking to provide job readiness training and encouragement to human trafficking victims in Oakland County in connection to our Issue-Based Community Impact area of focus: Women in Crisis.
- Developing a new fall fundraiser & training event, an Etiquette Cocktail Party, as well as beginning to plan for our JLB 70th Anniversary celebration.
- Recruiting inspiring women from our community to join our organization this fall
MEMBER CALL TO ACTION: We have an easy recruitment tool that I hope you will consider purchasing. We are creating lawn signs for members to post to help build awareness of our organization in the community.
- You can purchase a $10 lawn sign on the eStore under JLB Merchandise — purchase available via this link
- Sales close on Tuesday, July 7th
- Lawn signs will be delivered to your residence by a member of the Recruitment team
The theme that AJLI has selected for the 2020 – 2021 Junior League year is “Better Together”, which we truly are. We know that there are a lot of unknowns surrounding the upcoming days and months, but we are confident that by being courageous in the face of uncertainty and leaning into the network of connection, support, friendship, and shared pride that the JLB provides us with, we will be able to have a successful and meaningful League year together.
My goal is to lead our organization this year with empathy and transparency, making sure all members feel heard, connected, educated, and empowered. I would love the opportunity to learn more about your League experience, ideas, suggestions, and ultimately, what you would like to see from our organization — please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly.
Enjoy the 4th of July holiday weekend, and I look forward to an exciting year ahead!